The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) vide a press release dated 16th May 2020 has announced that in response to Covid-19 pandemic, FSSAI is taking several steps to facilitate industry during the lockdown period. The FSSAI is engaging with state food safety departments, to deal with the emerging priorities in food safety landscape. In this connection, FSSAI provides the following facilities-
- Licensing on the online portal; establish licensing helpline in each state with a dedicated number and email id; create robust complaint handling mechanism; conduct only essential inspections and so on.
- Issued detailed guidelines on food safety and hygiene for food businesses during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Commenced training for food handlers under its flagship Food Safety Training & Certification (FoSTaC) program.
- Counter myths and misinformation, such as frozen food and food served cold/ chilled were selectively not allowed to be transported, stored or sold, ostensibly on the notion that they could promote spread of Covid-19.
- FSSAI has communicated to states/UTs giving instructions to review any such restriction imposed in their state and rescind those not consistent with FSSAI guidance.
- States/UTs have been instructed to follow a non-discriminatory approach while dealing with food businesses in the lockdown and even post-lockdown period.