The Food safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) vide a directive dated 27th March 2020 has operationalized the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of food Business) Amendment Regulations 2020 w.e.f 27th March 2020. Though it is a draft Regulation and final Regulation needs some time to be notified; FSSAI decides to operationalize the draft provisions with immediate effect in the interest of public health and to ensure food safety and fair practices in food business operations.
- Change made to proviso to Regulation 2.1.9 that now provides that any change that alters the information contained in the license certificate shall require an approval or endorsement in license prior to start of business with such changes. The Food Business Operator shall submit the original license to the Licensing Authority along with a fee equivalent to Rs. 1000 along with differential amount of annual fee for effecting necessary changes. Prior to the amendment, the amount of fee was 1-year licence fee.
- A new Regulation 2.1.17 is inserted that provides that the non-payment of prescribed fees and charges, action against FBO shall be initiated in accordance with sub-regulation 2.1.8. that provides for suspension or cancellation of Registration Certificate or license.
- A new Regulation 2.1.18 is inserted to provide that manufacturing license holder shall implement and maintain a system of control to ensure the quality of his production or process through a specific plan of testing so that the food product or process comply with the relevant regulations/standard.
- New Regulation 2.1.19 is inserted to provide that the Food Business operator, himself or on the direction of the Commissioner of Food Safety or Food Authority, shall be required to get a food safety audit done by one of the third party auditing agencies/auditors recognized by FSSAI at its own cost.
- The Food Business operator, himself or on the direction of the Commissioner of Food Safety or Food Authority, shall be required to obtain hygiene rating for his food business as per the terms determined by the Food Authority.
- New Regulation 2.1.20 is inserted to provide that FBOs shall ensure training of Food Safety Supervisor under training programs of FSSAI.
- New Regulation 2.1.21 is inserted to provide that the FSSAI may empanel individuals/ companies/ organisations to facilitate the food business operators in applying for Registration/License and the related activities.