Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) vide a Notification dated 1st January 2020 has issued the Central Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Rules, 2020. This Amendment brings changes to Rule 117 of the Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017 as well as substitutes FORM REG-01, FORM GSTR-3A and FORM INV-01. So, the changes brought by this amendment are as follows-
- Amendment of Rule 117: Amendment to the Rules 117(1A) and 117(4)(b)(iii) provide that in cases where the registered person could not submit Tran-1 or Tran-2 on the common portal on account of technical difficulties, they can submit Tran-1 by 31st March 2020 and Tran-2 by 30th April 2020. Prior to the amendment, these due dates were 31st December 2019 and 31st January 2020.
- Substitution of Forms REG-01, GSTR-3A and INV-01: The following changes has been brought to these said Forms-
- Form REG-1 will now have an additional field relating to “Period of Validity” as per approval order in case of SEZ Unit or Developer.
- Form GSTR-3A relating to ‘Notice to return defaulters under Section 46’ has been amended and introduced change that in case of failing to furnish return within 15 days of notice, tax liability “may” be assessed under Section 62. Thus, the assessment of tax liability is made optional by adding the term “may”. Apart from this, a disclaimer has been added to Form GSTR-3A that this is a system generated notice and does not require signature.
- Form INV-1 has been substituted with a whole new model.