The Telangana government by a Government order has extended the permission given to all shops and other establishments to remain open all days in a week by a period of three years w.e.f. 16.06.2019. The government of Telangana had first allowed 365 days working for shops and establishments in 2015. So, the shops and establishments in the state of Telangana shall enjoy exemption from weekly holiday and may remain open for all 365 days in the year. This exemption aims at benefiting retailers to achieve their potential as well as offer consumers the luxury of 365 days of shopping. However, the exemption granted subject to fulfilment of the following conditions-
- The working hours of the employees shall be 8 hours per day and 48 hours in a week.
- Record of over time will be maintained in the Wages Register separately.
- Every employee will be allowed to avail a Weekly Holiday on rotational basis. The list of weekly holiday shall be exhibited (Form 24) at the main entrance of the shop.
- If the employees are found working on any Holiday or after normal duty hours without proper indent of overtTime, this exemption from weekly holiday granted to shops will be cancelled.
- Working hours of the shop shall be between 9.00 A.M. to 11.00 P.M.
- In case of Women employees who are required to work beyond 8:30 P.M., transport arrangements are to be made to the women employees. A notice to this effect in Telugu and English shall be exhibited at the main entrance of the shop indicating the availability of transport.
- All employees are to be provided with Appointment Letters and copy of the same will be furnished to the Inspector.
- Visit Book shall be maintained exhibiting a copy of the exemption.
- The wages for the employees shall be credited to their saving bank Accounts.
- EPF & ESI deductions shall be implemented in respect of the eligible employees.
- The Employer shall cooperate in implementing the “Duties of Inspection” under rule 28 of the Telangana Shops & Establishments Rules, 1990.
- If any statutory violation is committed by the Employer of the Shop, the exemption will be cancelled before the sanction period.
Thus, the exemption from weekly holiday is granted to shops and establishments in Telangana for 3 years only. If any employer violates the conditions, his right to enjoy the exemption will be cancelled.