Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) vide a notification dated 8th July 2019, has issued directions that last mile delivery persons and direct selling agents will not be required to take FSSAI Registration subject to certain conditions. As per the Notification, of FSSAI registration is not required for:
- Last mile delivery persons (i.e. FBOs engaged in movement of goods from a transportation hub to the final delivery destination.)
- Direct Selling Agents (DSA) (For example- Agents and distributors of direct selling companies like Herbalife and Amway)
- Food Vending Machines, Water Vending Machines, Food ATMs (owned by a single entity)
- Branded food Carts (owned by a single entity)
The relaxation Is given to the above mentioned FBOs because they generally work under a main entity to ensure last mile delivery of the food products and are not directly involved in manufacturing, sale, and supply of food articles on their own.
However, this relaxation is subject to the following conditions
- The annual turnover of the Individual entity does not exceed Rs. 12 Lakhs and its main entity shall obtain FSSAI License.
- The main entity shall be responsible for Regulatory compliance by the individual entities.
- The main entity shall maintain data base/record of all such individual entities/units.
- Main entity must ensure that the individual unit is conversant with basic sanitary and hygiene conditions to be followed. They main entity must also facilitate their training under the Food Safety Training Certification (FoSTaC).
- Main entity shall issue Photo ID Cards to the individual entity, bearing unique identity number and main entity’s FSSAI License number.
- The individual FBO entity shall display the name and License number of the main entity.
- Main entity shall also maintain records of Annual medical Check-up of personnel working for such entities to ensure that no such persons are suffering from contagious disease.
- The main entity shall inform the entities in writing its decision to undertake responsibility for the above-mentioned compliance.